Saturday, March 24, 2012

This Means War (2012)


It's funny how women are depicted these days: pretty and dumb. Can't she be pretty, but with much more sense between her ears? Or even wealthy and witty? I long for something more different but much more real women to be in the front-runner in the movies. I want a female lead who can hold her own even if the male lead is bursting with testosterone. Not some ditzy and silly girl that can pass as cute at the most, but shallow when it really matters. Lo and behold, the girl in the movie believes everything the guy says. Of course, she doesn't see past through the disgustingly cheesy moves (I'm talking about the Mr. Sensitive Guy and/or Mr. Smooth Guy, *cue eye-roll*). Of course, showing her that he knows absolutely everything about her is sweet, stalker mode be damned. 


These are the things that came across my mind while watching Lauren played by Reese Witherspoon whom I pretty much hate after watching this, gone were the days when her choice of roles were impeccable. Case in point: Cruel Intentions and Election. Lauren, the luckiest girl in the world, met two guys almost at the same time during the time in her life when she's looking for the "real thing".  The twist: the two guys are BFFs and they are willing to forget everything they've been through for a super-duper special girl.  More twist: they are spies, they use their profession to know everything about Lauren. That is just so sweet and reassuring. The creativity is killing me. No, really. Sidenote: I apologize for the sarcasm, it just brims over. However, despite my general loathing, the bromance between FDR (played by Chris Pine, oh you gorgeous man) and Tuck (played by Tom Hardy who is a disappointment, but I love this man) was cute in a haha-they're-both-so-pathetic-but-screw-it-they're-still-handsome sort of way. I even wished that they just end up together to just get it over and done with. 

Minus points for Hollywood, again. The amount of shitty movies they produce compare to the good ones is staggering. I guess, that's the beauty of cinema. You swim through a pile of rubbish until you find that treasure. If this is what it takes to watch good movies, then I take it as a worthy challenge. Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment