Saturday, March 17, 2012

50/50 (2011)


God, how great it is to have someone by your side knowing that he/she would be there for you whenever the going gets tough. And how greater it is knowing that that someone is your best friend whom you've shared laughs and farts with. This movie is a constant reminder that being alone may not be a bad thing, but having a friend is a hell lot more fun and definitely less boring. Especially when you have cancer. I thought that this movie would be depressing and would make me cry and it did, but that's not all. It made me laugh, it made me wanna call my parents, it made me wanna go out and just do something. I can't imagine what kind of life people suffering with cancer must have, but I'm sure that it's not a walk in the damn park. I'm sure that there are several people who have cancer handle their situation differently and I'm also sure that for every cancer patient, there is a different story behind it. This movie takes us into that moment wherein a man's life changes and how he handles that change.


Enter Adam, who is played by a very convincing and adorable Joseph Gordon-Levitt, an average guy who works "in the radio". He's dating a sweet and pretty girl and has a douchebag for a best friend. Then of course the seemingly harmless pain in his back part that turned out to be cancer (it's so hard to pronounce that I didn't even bother checking it out, sorry). Who's there for him? Both the girlfriend and the best friend, for sure. Enter into the picture another sweet and pretty girl which is his therapist (played by Anna Kendrick whom I don't love, I don't know why). Upon seeing her, I immediately know that Adam's girl (played by Bryce Dallas Howard, who is exceptionally better at being a bitch and I love her for that) would be a goner. Anyhoo, a lot of things happen to Adam, but the most important thing here was his relationship with his friend Kyle, who is portrayed by Seth Rogen (very funny, this guy), and his mother (Anjelica Houston). Of course my favorite parts were the ones with Adam and Kyle as they really did embody friendship and how sometimes, it's hard to show what you really mean and to say what you really think.

This movie is also based on true events that happened to Will Reiser and Seth Rogen. What they've been through must be an inspiration to a lot of people with or without cancer. It's disconcerting to know that you don't really realize that life is temporary until something drastic happens to you. So let's celebrate life because we don't know when the fun stops.


No comments:

Post a Comment