Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Artist (2011)



I have something to confess: I've never watched a silent film before. Not because I found it very boring, but because I never knew it would affect me or speak to me on so many levels and ways. I was so enamored with the movies (and even tv shows) nowadays that I never bothered to watch one silent movie. Well, now that I have, I don't know what to feel. I am sure that watching this would coax me into watching even more silent films. And I'm afraid that I would feel torn apart. See, I love The Artist and watching more silent films would either disappoint me because this movie has set a high standard for me, or it may make me think less of this movie, in case the other silent films would prove to be superior. But one thing's for sure, I had one hell of a time watching this. 



Jean Dujardin plays the silent film actor and charmer George Valentin who has a hard time transitioning to the 'Talkies'. He believes that he won't shine in that kind of film, he reckons he would still have his ever loyal fans even if all the other actors conform to the Talkies. This vanity of his (quote: I'm the one people come to see. They never needed to hear me.) will prove to be his downfall. I have no qualms in saying that Dujardin deserved the Oscar. He is so irresistible and magnetic that only Uggie--his devoted dog-- could steal his thunder. I have seen him in a French movie called 99 Francs; it was not a great movie but I'm thankful that I watched it because it only showed his versatility and even his comedic timing. As for Miss Berenice Bejo, I only have high praises for her portrayal of the fast rising starlet, Peppy Miller. Her chemistry with Dujardin is palpabale with just the right amount of tenderness. Their dance sequence at the end was refreshing and highly entertaining even though you absolutely know that both Bejo and Dujardin worked hard to get the steps right. Other characters such as John Goodman who plays Al, the studio chief, and James Cromwell who plays Valentin's driver are effective accessories to the already wonderful ensemble. 

This exact kind of movie makes it okay for me to watch every goddamn movie and sort out all the horrible ones because I know that there will be one among many that inspires, shines and proves to be so much better than the rest. This movie that touched me without even so much as a phrase. This movie that inspired me with only a simple glance, a genuine smile, and really cute dog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment