Saturday, February 25, 2012

Warrior (2011)


Nobody could have prepared me for this movie. I even remember, at one point, hitting the pause button just because I couldn't take the awesomeness of the scenes. It was that exciting. For me, at least.

It is about brothers. Brothers who were separated due to an alcoholic and perhaps, abusive father. One brother married a perfect house wife, had children and seemed to live an ordinary life. The younger one, however, became an Iraq War veteran, saw his own mother die and ultimately led a bitter life. They seem to be extremely different, but its about to change when they both joined a mixed martial arts tournament and inevitably fight each other. Nick Nolte plays Paddy Conlon, the former alcoholic father who, upon seeing his youngest son, was determined to earn his forgiveness. I say he deserves to be nominated as Best Supporting Actor in the Oscars. Tom Hardy as Tommy Conlon (younger brother) is extremely exhausting to watch. I don't mean it as a negative retort, but as a compliment. I understand his bitterness and feel his ultimate reluctance to forgive both his father and brother for abandoning him with his mother. There's just an aura in him that suggests that he is still a little boy waiting to be saved by the older men in his family. I swear, his scenes with his father made me sob so bad, I eventually had hiccups in the end. Lastly, Joel Edgerton plays Brendan Conlon, the older one, the one who should have been carrying the burden of their family problems. He will surprise you and you will love him for it. This dysfunctional family will play at your emotions like nothing ever did and will leave you speechless.

Now that we're done with part where you'll cry, let's move on to the part where you'll cheer and jump up. Or jump up and cheer, whichever order. As I've written before, I hate spoilers and in retrospect, I hate giving them as well. But really, the fight scenes in the arena is heart-stopping especially with Brendan, underdog that he is. The training was grueling and painful to watch, but what's pain when you get to win a shitload of cash? I can't stress this any clearer and harder: The fight scenes will send your blood racing and by the end of the movie, you'll be a fan of the mixed martial arts. For those who adore UFC, then I don't know any other reason not to watch this. If you've seen The Fighter (starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale) and liked it, then take a chance on this. You might like it, too.

Cheerios! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment