Thursday, February 16, 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)


After watching this movie, I found myself staring at my computer screen for several minutes before even processing what I've just seen. The first thing that came to me was how brilliant Elizabeth Olsen was. With her riveting  performance, you would never have known that she is the younger sister of the famous Olsen twins. Well, maybe she looks a bit like them but based on her acting, she could have been from a different gene pool.

She plays Martha, a young girl who decided to to live in a cult as Marcy May. We never actually see the scenes where she decided to go there rather, the first scene was when she decided to leave and escape from the cult. She then seeks comfort from her sister who welcomed her with open arms despite Martha leaving home without further notice.

Major problem? Martha could not separate her dreams and her past. She could not adjust well with her surroundings and does not know how to "act" properly, as her sister's husband implies. I love how I could completely relate to Martha's sister, Lucy (Sarah Paulson). I shared her impatience and curiosity as to what really happened to Martha. But at the same time, understanding that some people just don't open up that easily. It is completely chilling how we see bits and pieces of what she experienced, but never fully knowing what happened.

This is where Olsen proves that she is a force to be reckoned with. She has to show the audience that Martha is broken, but at the same time conveying that she is almost oblivious about it. Boy, did she deliver it and deliver it well. I know that some people would chalk it up to the "boring" section, but trust me when I say that just seeing  Ms. Olsen act is enough reason to watch this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment