Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Spring Breakers (2012)


If there's one thing that this movie did to me is that it made me forget that James Franco was a total snoozefest as an Oscar host. As a white thug named Alien, Franco is the only thing worth watching. In this movie, four girlfriends are trying so hard to make their spring break epic. To make their vacation so outrageous and ridiculous. It did happen, but not exactly everything that they had expected and hoped for. Instead, they met Alien the drug dealer, who by the way has Scarface on loop (I find this hilarious), and in one way or another became his bitches. For some girls, this fact even makes their vacay more memorable. But for some, ehem Faith (Gomez), this is just too much. But no matter, the party goes on. They went through partying, sex, violence and  then back. The whole thing was bizarre and reminded me of Blow and Requiem for a Dream, just the party version.



Pineapple Express is still my favorite, though. 
As much as I enjoyed Franco's performance, whether he's saying ridiculous shit like: They should call me Money! or singing to Britney Spears' Everytime, all the others fell short for me. The girls are bordering on boring despite the situation they are in. Hudgens was painful to look at as she tries hard to be bad and sultry (stop it Gabriella). I do like her and all the other girls, in fact, but it is clear that they are not cut out for this. Better luck next time, girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment