Monday, July 15, 2013

Films Watched - 2013

Just because I'm an obsessed fan of both A Song of Ice and Fire and the HBO series.
Trivia: This is how GRRMartin imagined the Iron Throne to be. 

Enough about my sick obsession. As I've said before, I wouldn't dare watch 365 movies in a year. However, I won't just give up watching films altogether. Just like what I did last year, I'm going to list all the movies I've seen (from start to finish) and review some of them. I'm putting some annoying side comments alongside the titles. Bear with me. 

This is the start of nothing new:


1. Snow White and the Huntsman
     - I'm not proud that this is the first movie I saw this year. I don't remember if this was a good or a bad movie either. It just didn't make any impact on me whatsoever. Although, I vaguely remember Charlize Theron being ridiculously beautiful. Stewart as Snow White was a big mistake, I think? I don't remember. 

2. Taken 2
     - Yes, Liam Neeson kicks ass. Yes, Taken was awesome. No, the sequel did not measure up.

3. Django Unchained
     - I still stand by my opinion that Leonardo DiCaprio should've won both the Golden Globe and the Oscar. Also, Samuel L. Jackson was definitely overlooked for his brilliant performance. Inglorious Basterds is still my ultimate Tarantino movie, but this one is a close second.

4. Young Adult
     - I love how Charlize Theron's character can be unlikable, bitchy and downright unstable, but still manage to be funny and sometimes enlightening. There's nothing new to her mid-life crisis, but it is still hilarious and even scandalous.

5. Tower Heist 
     - Relatively funny. Not entirely refreshing, but definitely an easy watch.

6. Seven Psychopaths
     - I recommend this movie. How much trouble can you get into only because of a lost shih tzu? It seems gimmick-y, but trust me Woody Harrelson is simply hilarious and anything with Christopher Walken is a must watch.

7. The Skin I Live In
     - HOLY SHIT THIS MOVIE. I don't think I have ever been flabbergasted, disgusted and amazed by a plot twist all at the same time. This may seem like a spoiler and I'm sorry for that, but I dare you to watch this and not agree. I've never liked Antonio Banderas (yes, even during his Zorro days) but I have to admit that in this movie, his acting is impeccable. Kudos to the rest of the cast as well.

8. Rust and Bone
     - Marion Cotillard is an absolute wonder to watch. Such grace, beauty and talent. I have loved her since Jeux d'enfants and she has been my favorite ever since. French cinema can be melancholic and very poignant, and this movie is the best of both.

9. Silver Linings Playbook
     - Fact: All four major actors in the cast were highly acclaimed in this movie. Why? Because it's a great one. No doubt this was a darling to the movie world. JLaw can now attach "Oscar winner" to her resume and wait for the successful years to come. She will be Meryl Streep ver. 2, I swear. Also, I loved, loved the movie. It was even better than the book and I think that's reason enough to watch.

10. Damsels in Distress
     - The girls in this movie are not wild. They are feminists in the most hilarious sense of the word. They are a delight to watch as they fight their way to the top -- preferably with males as their pedestal.

11. Les Miserables
     - The film version of this well-loved musical (but is actually a novel) is not a disappointment. If you've seen the musical (I recommend "Les Miserables in Concert - The 25th Anniversary"), then you're in for a treat. The actors are more than capable. Both Amanda Seyfried and Redmayne are a surprise. Hugh Jackman as the infamous Jean Valjean was great and much like JLaw, Anne Hathaway can finally call herself an Oscar winner.

12. The Man in the Iron Mask
     - As a Leo fan, I have no idea why I have never bothered to see this movie. This and The Gangs of New York. In my opinion, he is always better when he shies away from the sweetheart and leading man roles (ahem, Titanic and Romeo+Juliet). Nothing much in this movie and I only watched this for Leo, but I was not disappointed.

13. Reprise
     - A story about literary rivalry between best of friends. It's not groundbreaking. The acting is just okay. I say it could've been better. Better luck next time, Norway.

14. Anna Karenina
     - I've read comments regarding this movie. A lot said that it's style over substance. I disagree. I think the style complimented the content of the movie and vice versa. One should not be sacrificed in the expense of the other. Not a Keira fan (not even after Pride & Prejudice and A Dangerous Method), but again credit should be given where it is due and Keira Knightley is one hell of an actress.

15. Zero Dark Thirty
     - I will sound lame and unimaginative, but what a cool movie. I didn't think it was boring or slow-paced at all. The hunt for the al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden after the 9/11 incident was brilliantly orchestrated. The movie itself is superior and Jessica Chastain deserved the Oscar Best Actress award. JLaw is still my girl-crush, but it seemed that her award was a bit early, unlike Jessica's which I think is long overdue. Your time will come, Ms. Chastain. I have faith in you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment