Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Man of Steel (2013)


I waited for almost two weeks to post my review of this film because I wanted to be well informed on some of my favorite (and even the not so favorite) movie critics' reviews. I noticed that the ratings of this movie is well-balanced (an average rating of 5-6 out of 10). Not because the reception of the critics is lukewarm, but because some of them rated very low with intensely negative comments and them some rated extremely high with glowing reviews. I think it's because the critics are divided. On one side are the fanatics of Richard Donner's classic Superman (1978). This movie set the bar for all the Superman movies. And the bar is so high that no other version of the DC comic book could ever compare. On the other side, are the ones who are ready to give another version a chance. A chance to shine without its predecessor's shadow looming over. I am one of the latter side.

I gave this movie a chance. I have seen Superman (1978) and I did love it. I loved the humor, the warmth and the good feels. I thought that everything was well executed, from the effects to the storyline down to the acting. However, that movie is not for my generation. It did not speak to me in ways I could not describe. I was not immersed in the movie from start to finish. I did not have goosebumps. Sure, Richard Donner's movie is a classic. But Zack Snyder's Man of Steel is epic.



This is an origin story. It is all about how Clark Kent came to be. Sticking to the comic book story, it started with the near extinction of the planet Krypton. This triggers the scientist Jor-El to send his natural born son (which never happens to this planet) to planet Earth. He is found by the kind and nurturing Kents. He becomes Clark Kent. He knows he's different from everyone else. This makes his father wary of his identity and role in the society. This fact alienated Clark from everyone else and as such makes him a studly loner. Then came the fascist General Zod to find Kal-El (that's Clark's real name, btw) and to take over Earth as their new home. And all hell breaks loose.

Zack Snyder's take on this movie is so much different than what the fans were used to. Superman here is not clumsy as a human being, but larger than life as the superhero. Superman here does not separate his Clark from Kal. He is the same person whether he is hiding from his family and trying to work like the rest of the humankind or just plain saving people from dying. He is the same person when he comes home to her mother and when he first experienced flying (one of my favorite scenes). He is still the same goody two shoes superhero from the DC Universe, albeit with an identity crisis. Trust David S. Goyer (writer) and Christopher Nolan (one of the producers) to make the extraterrestrial perfection that is Superman to a flawed character with an existential dilemma. It is all about nature versus nurture. He wants to have both, but knows that he can't. It is absolutely wonderful to see Henry Cavill struggle and triumph simultaneously. I love you, Christopher Reeve. But H. Cavill is my new Superman. Every nuance he captured, every flinch and every emotion. His biological father, Russell Crowe is great as well. Although, I must admit that I cannot see Russell and not imagine Javert. The adoptive parents, played by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane, are completely perfect. I have no complaints on the casting of Lois Lane either. Amy Adams, with her redhead beauty which is definitely not what Lois Lane really looks like, is more than adequate. An actress of her caliber need not change her appearance to convey the character. Last, but not the least, Michael Shannon as General Zod is powerful, full of purpose and just ready for anything. He is the human equivalent of a flared nose and bulging eyes.

Added bonus: He finally learns to wear underwear the right way.

I see this movie as the counterpart of Batman Begins. Like the first movie of the Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel isn't adored and loved dearly. But it will be a gateway movie to an even bigger, better and epic-er sequel. And personally, I can't wait for the dark and dangerous DC to compete with the light and humorous Marvel. I'll be watching. Popcorn in hand, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment